Friday, July 26, 2013

LORD WHAT FOOLS THESE MORTALS BE

Our next-to-last class endeavor together was last night. We rode the London Eye, which was great fun.

Then we walked along the Thames to the Globe, a fascinating display of London life. It was a brisk (to say the least) half hour walk which taxed my poor feet. 

Barely time to hit the restrooms before curtain at the Globe. Our seats were extreme stage left, and a lot of the action was obstructed by a pillar in the stalls, as well as one onstage. But I craned my neck and squiggled around so I could see and hear as much as I could. 

NOBODY DOES SHAKESPEARE LIKE THE BRITS! We saw A Midsummer Night's Dream, one of my favourites. 
The direction, choreography, music, musicians and cast were all brilliant, and I was enjoying myself thoroughly until intermission, at which point I was told I was too loud! It really ruined my mood, but I decided not to let it. I ignored the comment and loved the show!

The play was so well done; the mechanicals were amazing. The actor who played Francis Flute (who plays Thisbe in the play within the play) reminded me of Sheldon from Big Bang Theory – hysterical! Everyone was excellent. I am always partial to Helena, whose “Wherefore was I to this keen mockery born?” speech I delivered on the stage of the Globe on a past visit with theatre students. The duality of the characters was delicious, and expertly executed. My flatmate noted that Puck almost appeared to be Puck in disguise when he played Philsotrate, an intriguing idea. I absolutely adored the show; I will likely try to see it again with my sister after this program is over – just a few more days now. I want to visit the theatre shop as well, which we didn't get time to do. 

Then we made some attempts to do our assignment of night photography, but I was confused by the directions and slightly dispirited. So we went home. Too bad. 







1 comment: