Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens…

NOT! Our Hyde Park trip this AM got rained out. Kind of ironic, inasmuch as our photo focus for today was water (check out my pic on our Facebook page)! But we all met instead for our afternoon outing to Kensington Palace and high tea at the Orangery, don’t you know? 

Pretty thrilling to think we were in William, Kate and the BABY’s palace, AND that the baby and mommy and daddy arrived home mere hours after we left! The palace history is fascinating . . . Victoria, Georges, et al.  Very tastefully done displays, which included animated projections, synopses of stories, and displays appropriate to various chambers.
etched glass Crystal Palace representation
quote by Victoria about meeting Albert:
"I said I couldn't think of marrying for three or four years, but seeing Albert has changed all this"



I especially liked the royal wallpaper and signage....

 At 3 o’clock it was tea time. I cannot tell you what a delightful experience this was! It was so . . . CIVILIZED! 

row leading to Orangery


A thread I've found running through my posts during this all-too-brief stay has been an increased sense of appreciation for the Brits and their culture. I've talked about how studious they are in maintaining a connection with their history, and how cavalier they are about the arts. Contrasting yet complementary characteristics. As a people, they are endowed with a sense of perspective, I think, which is another theme I've been examining. They seem to be able both to take themselves very, very seriously, AND make ridiculous fun of themselves. They are sometimes stereotyped as very reserved, and there are things about which they are quite solemn, such as their royal family, and understandably so. They recognize that they got to where they are today only because of the peculiar set of circumstances, good and bad, which came before. Yet they have such a lovely sense of humour about it all. We need only think about Monty Python to see how silly they realize others must on occasion perceive them to be. But they welcome the hordes of perennial tourists, because they have a genuine joie de vivre (forgive me my French, your Majesties) which makes them curious, gregarious and a lot of fun to get to know. I’m so glad I’ll be staying on in the UK after my FSU experience!      

2 comments:

  1. Again, love the pics and the perspective. Hard not to ponder all that when you are surrounded by pomp, history and the realization we are who we are because of what we have gone through-be it a nation or a person.So understanding everything has a reason and it is up to us to choose to embrace our past or let it weigh us down and trap us! The Brits have done an amazing job of walking that fine line with grace and style all their own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what we're lacking - grace and style - along with the overriding sense of significance.

    ReplyDelete