Tuesday, July 9, 2013

LOOK WHAT I LEARNED TODAY

We learned about several multi/social media apps in class, with an eye towards thinking about how we might choose to incorporate one in our multimedia project. 

This was the stellar app my classmate and I demo-ed: http://nypl.voicethread.com/?#q. It's cool -- especially for aural/visual learners, which I am. A way to connect strangers and engage them in conversation about a topic or image or any kind of question, not unlike what I'm encouraging you to do here with me!. You can create your own account (it's free, nothing to download), and you can start your own thread, about anything, and see who responds. I really like it -- very easy and user-friendly. Let me know what you think, or if you have a suggestion for me about your favourite new app. I mean it; there's always new things popping up, and word of mouth is how we share.

Our prof's better half shared his wisdom with us about blogging. I was actually inspired by his telling us that "there is no right or wrong way" to do this; it's all about being yourself. It may seem obvious, but it really is ok to say what you think and feel. That's why social media is so critical to our development as a culture. It has empowered every individual to have a voice in the world, by eliminating the middleman -- the publisher. These applications have given voice to the voiceless. Hopefully people will talk about things that matter to them, not just where they ate (although that isn't "wrong"), and individuals whose voices resonate with some of us will be followed, and referenced, and this paradigm shift can actually change the world. 

I am very much my own individual, and many people do not at first like me, because I am brash and loud. I had to learn that that's ok; it's alright if some people think differently than I - actually, it's critical that they do! I have found that many of these people come to like and admire me as they get to know me better, but that's not what's important. What's important to me, as an information professional, is that people have access to the information they need and want, and social media is not only providing connections and links to more and more information, it's also allowing everyday people to become creators of information, in the form of their opinions. Yes, this can give rise to misinformation, but each of us has the ability to discern for ourselves how we feel about new points of view. I'd much rather be stimulated by thinking about something provocative than not be exposed to an idea at all. Wouldn't you? Post here!

No comments:

Post a Comment